Ocean House History

The Owners of Ocean House The Ocean House was built in 1748 by Colonel John Jones (b.1683 known as John Jones Esq.). An addition to the house was built about 1763. This addition is the East side of the house which includes the distinctive “Beverly Jog.” The new portion of the house was most likely occupied by John Jones, Esq. […]

» Read more

Frank Metcalf

Driving around town it is difficult not to notice there are many streets in Ashland named after former landowners, or prominent figures that apparently left an impression worthy of eternal recognition. A few that come to mind are Tilton Ave, James Jackson Way, Homer Ave., and Metcalf Ave. Today‚Äôs story is about a member of one of those families: Frank […]

» Read more

James Jackson House

One of the best parts of living in New England, especially if you love history, is the abundance of historical homes. We all know that Ashland was incorporated in 1846 making us the new kids in the neighborhood but that does not mean we didn’t have our share of stately homes. Today’s remaining homes like the Valentine and Enslin homes […]

» Read more

James Jackson Way

The naming of streets in Ashland always intrigued me. Most of the older ones pretty much made sense: Tilton Avenue, Cutler Drive, Homer Avenue, etc. Then there are the ones that the developer must have named after himself or a family member like Donna Lee Lane, Teller Drive, Femia Road, and the like. What better way to make your mark […]

» Read more

Wally’s Restaurant

Every town has its local favorite breakfast place where everyone seems to meet at one point or another. It’s 6 AM for the early risers, and 9 AM or 10 AM for the local workers and politicians. Weekends bring the moms and dads with the kids. This is what makes a small town a pleasant place to live, and Ashland […]

» Read more
1 2 3 4 5 6 7